Shivanga for Men
Shivanga Initiation and Culmination Dates for 2017 & 2018
|Dec 03, Sunday (2017)||Jan 16, Tuesday (Thai Amavasya)|
|Jan 1, Monday||Feb 13, Tuesday (Mahashivratri)|
|Jan 31, Wednesday||Mar 16, Friday|
|Mar 1, Thursday||April 15, Sunday|
|Mar 31, Saturday||May 14, Monday|
|Apr 29, Sunday (Chitra Purnima)||June 13, Wednesday|
|May 29, Friday (Buddha Purnima)||July 12, Thursday|
|June 27, Wednesday||Aug 10, Friday (Adi Amavasya)|
|July 27, Friday (Gurupurnima)||Sep 9, Sunday|
|Aug 26, Sunday||Oct 8, Monday (Mahalaya Amavasya)|
|Sep 24, Monday||Nov 6, Tuesday (Deepavali)|
|Oct 24, Wednesday||Dec 6, Thursday|
|Nov 22, Thursday||Jan 2019|
|Dec 22, Saturday||Feb 2019|
Sadhana Guidelines for Men:
- The sadhana begins on Pournami and ends on Shivarathri, 42 days later.
- Shivangas will be initiated into the Shivanamaskar practice and the appropriate mantras.
- Shivanamaskaram should be done with devotion 21 times a day, either before sunrise or after sunset on an empty stomach.
- It is mandatory for the Shivangas to be at the Dhayanalinga in Coimbatore on Shivarathri.
- Shower/bath should be taken twice a day. Herbal bathing powder (snanam podi) can be used instead of soap.
- Biksha must be received from at least 21 people.
- During the period of the vrata, smoking, consuming alcohol and eating non-vegetarian food are not allowed.
- Only 2 meals can be had during the day. The first meal should be after 12 noon.
- Whites or light color clothing can be worn during the Sadhana period.
For registration and more details…